Thursday, February 13, 2014

Wild At Heart- Chapter One-Just Jett


"Okay, that's a wrap, people. Great job, people!" Stan clapped his hands and the cameras backed away. Another successful season of "Smoky Blue" was in the can, and instead of feeling exhilarated, I was exhausted.  I was ready to get out of the sweltering, unbearable heat blanket that was Orlando and wake up to the coolness of  clear mountain mornings.  I missed Georgia and my horse Rocky and even my rotten twin brothers Harlen and Harley although I would rather eat fire  ants than admit that fact to them.

 

"Jett, a word, please," Stan motioned me over to his chair. Now what? I’m tired and all I want to do is dive into a bubble bath.  "Have a seat," he offered, smiling a creepy little smile that was supposed to put me at ease,  I think.

 

"No, thanks, Stan, I have to catch my ride," I reminded him.

 

"Oh, about that..." Stan began, lowering his gaze.  You know that feeling you get when someone talking to you won’t look at you? Like they’re hiding something? I knew this moment was coming…I . Just. Knew. It.

 

"Um...Jett, you know you turned 18 last week, and..." he continued talking, or at least I think he did. I saw his mouth still moving but for some reason I couldn’t hear him anymore. I could feel  my pulse pounding  in my ears and I started to lose my vision.  I grabbed  the arm of the chair and hung on., afraid I might just faint.

 

 I suspected something like this to happen, but I was hoping in my hopes of hopes that I had at least one more season to film. Just one more. Let me find my next job, at least, I prayed! It’s a jungle out there for “child” stars once they’re past their prime. What would I do?

 

"Jett, you know Disney Studios caters to the 6-12 tween  crowd..." Yep, here it comes.

 

"Yes, Stan, I know," I held my breath, waiting for the bottom to fall out of my picture perfect life.  “Stan, if this is about my contract, you need to talk to my dad. You know he handles all that.” I reminded him.

“Yes, he DID handle all that. Now that you’re eighteen, your contract is now null and void.”

 

What a weasel. He doesn’t even have the stones to tell my dad. Shady.

 

"Well, the Studio believes you're just a little too old for our demographic. They’re not renewing your contract," Stan informed me with all the deadpan compassion usually reserved for swatting away a  bothersome fly. He reached out to pat my shoulder or something.  Lame.

 

I backed away. I didn't need his polite pity. He had never offered me any sort of kindness before--not for the past 5 years I pretended to be a cute country singing sensation named Smokey Blue. The studio had even made me change my name to fit their demographic. I had given them everything I had in me and more --working 14 hour days, singing, dancing, putting up with thousands of costume changes and hundreds of hours of hair and make up, smiling on cue, acting the happy-go-lucky girl playing to crowds of screaming tweens—faking excitement about supermarket openings  from Biloxi, Mississippi to  Pierre, South Dakota, cutting ribbons at new malls all over the country where the Smokey Blue clothing line was sold—smiling, laughing, singing, signing autographs and posing for pictures…even when my mom was sick.  Oh, I was the  real “it” girl—a regular Betty Boop.

 

  Don’t get me wrong. Sometimes I loved it. I loved the glamour and the glitz, I loved the pampering and yes, I even secretly loved the fawning over me. But sometimes, I just wanted to scream. I wanted to go to Starbucks and get a Mondo Mocha  latte or whatever it is people wait in line for so long for  without being mobbed by over-zealous  paparazzi and giggling gaggles of fan girls. I wanted to go see a movie and sit in the darkened theater stuffing my face with heavenly greasy buttered popcorn and pretend to be  a normal girl for just two hours. I wanted to sit in a high school classroom surrounded by kids my age. I wanted to go to prom and dance with a boy I liked. I even wanted to eat horrible school lunch from a crowded school cafeteria.

 

It hit me! I’m fired! Washed up at age 18... I just lost the best job a girl could have. Now I got no job and no hope in sight. What do I do now? Who was going to hire a washed up Disney  child star? Stan was looking  at me. I snapped out of it.

 

I bolted out the side door nearly colliding with a lumbering cameraman. I brushed hot tears off with the back of my hand. I didn’t bother changing into my own clothes—so what? They owed me at least the borrowed clothes on my back. Stan wasn’t going to get the pleasure of seeing me cry. Not today, not ever, but really,  now what?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment